Return_to_Home.gif (2697 bytes)
SUPR News.gif (1232 bytes)
Navigational Bar.gif (2089 bytes)
Navigational Bar B.gif (950 bytes)
_ Back to News Index.gif (1062 bytes)

Plaisance's best better than rest at Devil's Bowl

MESQUITE, Texas (July 4, 2001) - The O'Reilly NCRA/SUPR Challenge seems to bring the best out of Ryan Plaisance and tonight, Plaisance's best was good enough to claim his first ever NCRA and SUPR victory. Plaisance, from Westwego, Louisiana took the lead on the final restart, as he was able to power under Odie Green to take the lead as the pair raced in to turn 3.

Plaisance was happy to get his first SUPR victory, a win he felt was just around the corner. "It was coming and I knew I'd get it before I died but I didn't think it would come this soon, especially at this big old race track."

"The car was really tight. I had to put on three wheel brakes and jam the brakes through the corner and that was just enough. Right before that final caution I was getting better than Odie was in (turns) one and two and he was better than me through three and four. I got underneath him (on the restart) and he pushed up just a little bit and I got the drive off and once I got up front I just tried to hold on tight."

Plaisance drove his Plaisance Appraisal/Fast Tan Inc./Boland Performance Keith Craft-powered Chevy Monte Carlo Warrior to the victory. Plaisance thanked his friends and family for their support and his crew chief Big Glen Ronquille and most importantly his mom and dad for all of their support.

Odie, who for most of the race had the strongest spec motor in the field, was primed to seize the win but his tires cooled under the final caution and he was unable to keep his car planted through the corners. "The tires cooled off a little bit and it took a few laps to get them warmed back up."

But while the final rundown was lead by five spec motor cars, the beginning of the race started like a repeat of the night before as the open motors of Delbert Smith, Ronny Adams and Ted Martin once again battled for the lead, this time joined by Dennis Duncan. While Smith led the first 18 laps, Adams, Duncan and Martin battled for position. Martin moved by Duncan for third on lap 9 while Adams began to close in on Delbert. Duncan spun on lap 10 and returned at the rear. Then Martin made contact with the outside wall on the front stretch and was through for the night. This allowed Odie Green to move up to 3rd with Plaisance in close pursuit.

Adams was able to make the pass for the lead on lap 19 as he moved by Delbert as they raced in to turn 3. Smith would begin to fade back with a faulty magneto and Adams would continue to hold the lead until lap 38 when he lost drive shaft with just 2 laps to go. A broken torque arm mount eventually shook the driveline out. "It broke pretty early. I looked up and we had about 15 laps to go and it had already started vibrating. I knew something was wrong. Still Adams, who appeared to have the field covered, took the hard luck in stride. "I'll probably get over it by the time they drop the green flag next week."

Adams departure moved Odie Green into the lead, a lead he would own for just one lap as Ryan Plaisance was able to power underneath Odie as they raced through turn 3 as they head to the white flag.

28 Late Models were on hand. Delbert Smith was the GRT Top Qualifier as he passed 5 cars in winning heat 1. Rob Litton claimed the Lloyd Wild Jr. Logging Hard Charger award.

Plaisance's win helped the SUPR Late Models avenge last year's loss to the NCRA Late Models in the O'Reilly NCRA/SUPR Challenge.

For further information regarding the 2001 O’Reilly SUPR Series contact Greg Holmes at 225-275-5040 or e-mail us at


About | News | Tracks | Results | Points | Schedule  | Photo Gallery |
Contact Us

Baton Rouge Raceway, 1998-2002. All rights reserved.

Designed and Developed by Internet Advantage

Maintained by Weakside Productions